Over six generations of Tyrone area people have received their elementary education in this "fine school on the hill". The Sisters of Mercy came from their Motherhouse in Loretto, PA to teach in the school which was built in 1886. Today, the school is staffed by six full time certified teachers and two part time certified teachers. The current enrollment is seventy-three students in kindergarten through grade six. Twenty-nine students are enrolled in the Preschool. As of the 2007-08 school year, we are now in a completely renovated school building with state of the art equipment and facilities. The St. Matthew School families and parishioners are very supportive of the Catholic education they desire for the children.